BehindClosedDores

The Ramblings and Ruminations of a Vanderbilt Undergraduate from Franklin, TN

Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Gameday Eve

You know when you were a little kid and Christmas Eve finally rolled around? If you can remember the agonizingly slow pace that that day took, minute by minute, until finally you fell asleep knowing when you woke up in the morning it was going to be the best day ever, then you know EXACTLY how I have felt ALL WEEK LONG.

I was sitting in the upper deck of LP field last Sunday watching my beloved Titans rough up the Minnesota Vikings when I received a call from my boy Geoff. It was pretty loud at the game, so I just yelled into the phone "TEXT ME IF IT'S IMPORTANT!" ha ha, little did I know...

Roughly 30 seconds later my phone buzzed with that familiar text message buzz and I flipped the screen up: a text message from Geoff. I hit the okay button on my phone to read the message. I wish I had taken a moment to prepare myself mentally for what was about to appear on the screen of my crappy LG cellular phone

"Chris, Kirk, Desmond, and Lee are coming to Nashville"


I think I literally hit Dirty (my roommate from this summer, and still one of my best friends who happened to accompany me to the Titans' game) in the face trying to show him the text message and then began shouting, openly weeping and trying to get to "Contacts" on my phone so I could spread the joyous news.

I would daresay there are few things that are more exciting to any male ages 15-45 other than GameDay setting up on your team's campus and showing the whole college football world how they do things in your neck of the woods. It means your program matters. It means ESPN cares enough to drive 5 18-wheelers and a tour buss to Nashville to cover the Vanderbilt Commodores.

THE FREAKING VANDERBILT COMMODORES!

There are a lot of things that are very unlikely to happen: Meteors crashing in to the earth, lightning striking me, John Mellencamp winning an Oscar. I would have bet money that any of those things would have happened before Vanderbilt generated enough positive momentum to garner a visit from GameDay. I mean, come on, this is the program that ran out of interesting ways to lose about 10 years ago and has just been making up new ways ever since.

That being said, I literally could not be happier. There is nothing in this world that brings more sheer joy to my heart than the fact that Vanderbilt is hosting Gameday.

As Always,

Go 'Dores!

No comments: